The world has moved on greatly since Sage 1000 was brought to market; businesses have moved from on-premise solutions to cloud-first strategies, mobile phones no longer have an antenna (among other features!), and employees expect to be able to work from home and the office in the same way.
It’s inevitable that eventually, a product will run its course, and a number of years ago Line 1000 was “retired” from development and support, and had now been issued with an EOL statement.
For many businesses Sage 1000 performed exactly the way you wanted it to when you first implemented it in your business; it handled your finances, customers, and supply chain within a simple and easy-to-use solution. However, as your business has grown (and the world has moved on), your business has needed more sophisticated functionality. You have required more intelligent reports on your business data, so, you have added a BI suite like Sage Enterprise Intelligence. You required a more detailed view of your inventory and stock, so, you naturally enhance this with added Sage Inventory Advisor.
This evolving landscape is normal, most companies do it; selecting a core ERP and then enhancing it with a “best of breed” approach in key areas. This can be true of Sage X3 sites too – many have SEI, SIA, and budgeting and forecasting solutions such as Prophix, to help bolster core functionality in areas that are important to the business. When moving from Sage 1000 to Sage X3 your business doesn’t need to give up these familiar tools if you are using them already today.
For many businesses today there will be a “rush” to find a new solution (or new support partner) to deal with this EOL announcement – but this doesn’t necessarily need to be a chaotic time. A number of Sage 1000 partners are offering their own “extended support” to Sage 1000 sites, which will provide a safety net and although this doesn’t remove the risks outlined below, this will help to mitigate them for a short while:
Risks of Staying on Sage 1000:
- End of OEM support for hardware: When no longer developed by the author, software will fall off the OEM radar too. SQL and Windows versions move forward and will no longer be compatible with the solution. Meaning re-hosting or disaster recovery becomes challenging or impossible.
- No cyber-security fixes: Linked to the above, these systems become more out of date by the day and are not “patched up” to deal with the ever-evolving world of cyber-security. Potentially leaving a big hole in your business’ security.
- No development: The system is no longer developed or supported by the author – if something goes wrong it won’t be fixed. Also, no new modules will be added by the author or integrated by 3rd parties. It’s a dead-end for the product and could lead your businesses to dead-end processes.
By upgrading to Sage X3 you will gain:
- A solution for the future– Sage X3 is a completely scalable solution that can grow with your company and accelerate your business growth, so you won’t need to upgrade your ERP solution again in five years.
- A modern, easy-to-use solution– Everything you would expect from a modern, cloud-based solution; Sage X3 is user-intuitive, works through any web browser, and is accessible through any mobile device or tablet.
- A flexible solution that can be tailored to your business– Sage X3 is a highly flexible solution that can be tailored to fit the demands of your business. It can also integrate into your other line of business systems and has standard integrations to many other Sage-supported solutions (such as SEI, SIA, etc.)
- A solution that is being constantly invested in and improved on by Sage– As Sage’s flagship enterprise product Sage X3 is constantly evolving with new functionality and features, you will benefit from a solution with an extensive future road map and one that is at the forefront of Sage’s technological innovations.
- A modern ERP solution: Sage X3 is a system built for today and tomorrow, in technology and capability. It is intended for businesses that are ever-changing and evolving. By upgrading to Sage X3 you won’t be left behind as the world keeps turning.
If you’re still unsure whether or not it’s time to upgrade your Sage 1000 system to Sage X3 why not get in touch and have a chat with our team.
Find out more: